Monday, September 26, 2011

Saturday Night Squatching

You know, sometimes you just get the fever to be out in the woods and that's how it hit me this past Saturday. I was working at Macy's till 7:45 pm. On my feet all day and my 12th day in a row of working between both jobs. Nancy Snodgrass called me that afternoon and had invited me to come down with them. They have a 3 room tent, an air mattress and enough food for 12 people.
So I planned it out, I would get home by 9 throw some stuff in the Squatchmobile and be there by midnight. Why the hell not??? I had no other plans!
I arrived at the handicap area at 11:45 pm at Salt Fork State Park. Nancy and Bernie were creeping around the parking lot trying to scare me. Come on guys! You KNOW I am fearless!

All of a sudden I am hearing whistles and howls and wood knocks and I'm thinking, What the heck is going on here? Well, it turns out that there were 6 other researchers in the area.

It was great to see all my old friends and there was a flurry of activity and conversations as they all played catch up with me.

We settled into our two groups and pretty much chatted the whole night. At times Nancy would speak to her unseen friends in the woods. At one point I heard a very strange "wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh" sound that was low and reverberating. If anyone has an explanation for that I'd appreciate it because I had also heard that sound in Honobia, Oklahoma in 2009.

Black walnuts are falling from the trees this time of year so you have to be careful as to what you call rock throwing. Well, we had both. There is a definitive whiz and a thud from a 2 lb rock. Especially when you feel the breeze going past your head.

This would go on all night, stopping for periods of time. After a period of silence Nancy decided to start singing Should I stay or Should I go by the Clash. I joined in and the critics were not happy. A couple more rocks were thrown but that was about it.

We then headed back to camp at 4 a.m. and I was asleep within 5 minutes.
We woke 4 hours later and Nancy prepared a 4 course breakfast all from one pan!
After breakfast, Nancy and I headed back to the area to check for rocks, etc. No luck. Well now we are confused because not only are there no rocks, there are no walnuts in the area we thought they'd be in. Again, another fun night in the woods, but nothing conclusive.
We hiked down into the woods and found some cool stick structures.

We headed back to camp because I wanted to leave to get back in time to watch the Browns play.

There is no such thing as a bad night in the woods as far as I'm concerned. It beats a good day at work every time!

I will be heading down again this Wednesday to report on the events at the Town Hall meeting being held by the Finding Bigfoot production. I will take pics and share the hijinx with you!

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment